Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Man - Expression of Existence in search of it's own self.


"I don't know why I called Lata for dinner, but now I want you to come too Biji, I can't handle her on my own."
Biji agreed and hung up. 
"auntijee all the potatoes are fine, you need not check," said Ravi, who sold vegetables on the neighborhood, "you can ask all your neighbors about my father, we have provided fresh vegetables and fruits for many years now."
"Have you been to school?" asked Nancy still choosing potatoes irrespective of Ravi's assurances.
"yes, upto seventh grade."
"why did you stop then?"
"I failed thrice."
"So?"
"My father thought he would teach me how to buy and sell vegetables, and I would never fail here."
"Do you want to start again?"
"I don't know, is that it, want some fresh spinach, mangoes too would be coming soon, want me to book some for you?"
"no, no, how much for these, hope they are enough for today's dinner, how much?"

Lata arrived half seven, her face wrenched as if she had already gone through the entire conversation in her mind. 
"this is Biji, and Biji Lata and I shared ten most loving years," Biji was arranging the chairs in verandah, she smiled and asked Lata to sit.
"Biji has been my jacket, God bless her, she has been such a great solid friend to me, very instrumental in bringing me in this quiet and peaceful neighbor."
"Don't bother what she says Lata, she drinks innocence of Megha all day long, what will you have to drink?"
"same as what Nancy has, Megha, ha ha,"
"there she sleeps now, might wake up in an hour."
"a coke or plain soda, anything would be fine, thank you."

"I don't want to be married anymore, I thought to myself, I was in two passionate relationships, and both had their quirks which made me uncomfortable. I wanted to simply run away from Paris." Lata's spoon hung in mid air as she looked lost, " I wanted to run and yet could not turn my back, I remember experiencing psychosomatic morning sickness, fever, rashes and all, then as the day progressed it subsided, the thoughts hid in my work, then in nights they resurfaced again."
"Did you see a doctor, you could be carrying then?" broke in Biji.
"No, surprisingly both couldn't get me pregnant, I don't know why, but yes to think of it , they couldn't. I was overwhelmed to be the bread provider to a painter and a struggling actor, both of them stole or I allowed them to steal my precious years, I was existing just as they were."
"You ok, need some more soda?" asked Nancy, "sssh Nancy," Biji whispered, "then?"
"I met Atul, Atul worked in the Indian Embassy, actually he helped me out, I was detained for carrying some pills that damn actor was addicted too, Atul bailed me out, we became friends and then how it goes, I eventually married Atul and settled, I was happy after a very very long time, Nitin, my first baby in my first year of marriage completed me, and life was full of laughter and traveling etc."


God - It never promises Justice or Revenge.







No comments:

Post a Comment